July 24, 2020
5 Reasons You Should Play With Your Dog
Playtime is essential for dog health and development – even though we don’t always make time for it. Whether it’s burning energy, shaking off anxiety, or stimulating their brains, playing with your dog has many benefits for them and yourself. Here are 5 reasons why you should play with your dog.
- Regular activity can help ensure your dog maintains a healthy weight, heart, and joints. Letting them run around also burns off any extra energy.
WORK THAT BRAIN
- Incorporating games with rules or puzzles makes your dog use their brain; not just their muscles. It gives them stimulation, keeps their mind active and sharp, and helps build their focus and discipline.
- Playtime is a great way to build and develop trust and loyalty. It also helps your dog understand what sort of behaviors are acceptable vs. what is not acceptable.
- According to an article from Psychology Today, playing with your dog frequently can reduce their long term stress levels. It also helps reduce short term anxiety and soothe nerves.
IT’S GOOD FOR YOU TOO
- Many of these health benefits apply to you as well! Exercise, bonding, stress alleviation, and more are all things you’ll experience while enjoying playtime with your dog. It’s a win-win!
If you need some inspiration, check out our guide for 3 Simple & Easy DIY Dog Toys To Make At Home from common household items. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes at a time, you and your dog can enjoy the benefits of playtime and enjoy a happier life together.
Brock Casper is the Southwest Region Team Manager for Rover-Time and has been part of the RT team for two years. When he isn’t working he enjoys reading, playing video games, watching horror films, and going on walks with his dog, Loki. He lives in the northwest part of Chicago with his partner, Laurel. They enjoy making delicious food together and watching cooking shows.